We have created a basic step-by-step guide to simplify your move to Redding. Obviously this doesn’t have every step that you will need to take to prepare for your move, but it will get you started and headed in the right direction!
1. Flights: C0ordinate your arrival date with other students so that you may share the transportation costs from the airport to Bethel Church area. If flights are available to Redding within $200 roundtrip compared to flights to Sacramento or San Francisco, you might prefer to fly into Redding. We have found that CheapoAir can often find some of the best flight prices – including International flights and by using the coupon code TRAVEL20 you can get $20 off your flight. However, if you would prefer to work directly with the airline, United and Continental are the only ones that fly directly into Redding.
To coordinate your flights and transportation with other students, click here to post your flight information. Confirm each students identity by looking on iBSSM’s student page.
To view other students seeking to coordinate transportation, click here.
2. Transportation: Reserve Rental Car, Shuttle Service, or Public Transportation.
Again, using CheapoAir has resulted in great prices for one way rentals from Sacramento to Redding ($50-$80) and San Fran to Redding ($150).
3. Housing: Pre-arrange apartment or housing, if possible. We have listed apartment complexes that are familiar with working with Bethel students. If searching for a house, we have listed trustworthy real estate agents. For temporary housing in hotels, view the list of hotels closest to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Bank, and Restaurants.
4. Health Insurance (US Students): Research Health Insurance needs. If under 25, research whether being a full-time student at Bethel qualifies you to stay under your parent’s insurance. Otherwise, you will want to consider applying for individual health insurance upon arrival in California. Visit eHealthInsurance below for a quote. Must be within 30 days of applying for coverage to begin, not sooner.
5. Furniture: If traveling from long-distance, it might be cheaper for you to purchase used furniture and sell this furniture upon graduating bethel. You may pay for your furniture to be delivered so that you do not have to arrange to rent a truck. VisitAmazing Finds for used furniture.
6. Driver’s License and Car Registration: Visit the CA DMV website, http://www.dmv.ca.gov for specific details. If you are renting an apartment/house or plan to work in CA, you are required to register your vehicle in California. You have 20 days from entering California to register. To apply for a driver’s license from another state, a written test is required. The study material is available on the DMV website. To register your car in California, a smog test, and proof of insurance is required.
7. Banking & Finances: The larger banks located in Redding are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase. Internationals will want to setup their new bank accounts immediately upon arrival into the USA.
9. Legal Paperwork needed (internationals): Get Driving Record History if applying for car insurance.